Are you running out of space in your Memphis home or apartment? Are you making a major move in the near future? Whatever your reason for needing space, Memphis, TN self storage can provide you with a solution that meets your needs. With the help of Storage.com, you can find and rent storage in your area all in one convenient place online—you can even compare locations, prices, unit sizes, special storage features, and more.
COMMON REASONS FOR USING STORAGE IN MEMPHIS
Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee Lewis created their names in Memphis, but they also created a culture that lives on in the city to this day. Because of this, musicians and music lovers alike flock to Memphis each year. But jazz, blues, and rock 'n roll aren't the only things happening here. Students from Tennessee and outside of the state travel to attend colleges like University of Memphis, and people move to the area for employment opportunities with Fortune 500 companies like FedEx.
Whether you're already living in Memphis or moving to the area to go to school or follow a new career path, you may need self storage. Using a storage unit in Memphis can help you get more space in your home, give you a place to store items temporarily during a move, or even help you run a business. If you're exploring any of these options, check out the advice below for some of the most common uses of self storage in Memphis.
When You're Relocating to Memphis
Memphis is home to many large companies, including three Fortune 500 companies: FedEx, AutoZone, and International Paper. The city is also a popular destination for those looking for careers within the health care industry, as St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital is based in the area. If you're making the move to Memphis for a job or to start a career, a Memphis storage unit can give you a place to store your belongings while you search for your new home.
Self storage features to consider when relocating to Memphis:
- Additional Security: Since you'll be storing furniture, appliances, and the rest of your household belongings in self storage, you wouldn't want anything to get vandalized or stolen. Look for facilities with gated access, video surveillance, and on-site management.
- Short-Term Rental Agreement: When relocating, you may only need storage for a few weeks or months. Having a month-to-month storage lease will make it easy for you to rent storage for as little or as long as you need.
- Drive-Up Access: When storing heavy items like furniture and appliances, having a unit with drive-up access makes unloading and loading your items less of a hassle.
When You're Between Homes
People move for a lot of different reasons, and self storage can help make that process easier. Whether you're moving from Central Gardens to nearby Downtown Memphis or moving from Uptown to White Haven, Memphis mini storage will give you a place to store your belongings between homes.
Moving is a stressful time often made more difficult by trying to line up leasing periods or move-in dates. If you need to bridge the gap between homes, you won't be able to take all of your stuff with you to your temporary home. Instead, use a storage unit to store your belongings until it's time to move in to your new home.
Self storage features to consider while in between homes:
- Short-Term Rental Agreement: Since you likely won't be needing storage for a full calendar year, it'll be important to find a storage facility that can offer your a short-term, flexible contract so you aren't wasting money.
- Drive-Up Access: Having drive-up access will make it easier to load and unload some of your larger furniture and appliances. You can back a moving truck up directly up to the storage unit, too, which saves time and energy.
When You're Living in Downtown Memphis
Downtown Memphis is the place to be. With beautiful views of the Mississippi River and proximity to Beale Street, the cultural epicenter of Memphis, there are many reasons why people choose to live in the downtown area. Along with Beale Street, there's also the FedEx Forum, home to the Memphis Grizzlies, and The Orpheum, which provide great entertainment. However, with such a lively downtown scene, living in the area doesn't come cheap. Sometimes, in order to find a downtown apartment or condo within budget, you need to sacrifice space. That's where a storage unit can come in handy for those who don't want to sacrifice proximity to the action for more living space.
Self storage features to consider when living in downtown Memphis:
- Downtown Storage Facility Location: Having a downtown storage unit will make it easier to access your belongings while living in the downtown area. You wouldn't want to get your car out of a garage and drive across town to grab something you need, would you?
- 24-Hour Access: 24-hour access allows you the freedom to get into your storage unit on your own schedule without having to worry about business hours.
- Additional Security: Downtown areas are often unsafe at night, so you'll want your storage facility to have great security features to keep your valuables protected.
When You're Attending a College in Memphis
Memphis isn't necessarily a college town, but there are several institutions of higher education within city limits. With University of Memphis, Rhodes College, Memphis College of Arts, and several medical schools in the city, a large amount of students—in-state and out-of-state—live on campus in residence halls and dorm rooms.
Over the summer, students often have to take all of their dorm furniture and belongings back home until the following semester, which means they'll either have to pack everything up in a car or rent a moving truck. However, many students choose to rent a storage unit at a Memphis storage facility near their respective campuses to save money and make moving in and out of the dorms easier.
Here are some tips to consider when using self storage as a college student:
- Split the rental with a roommate or classmate to save money on summer storage.
- Since you won't be needing a storage unit year-round, you'll want a facility that offers short-term leasing.
- It gets hot in Memphis over the summer, so investing in climate control can help prevent damage to your belongings while in storage.
When You Run a Small Business
As a small business owner, you may be looking for ways to keep your costs down and save on space. Many small businesses in Memphis utilize self storage as a way to expand their storage potential at a cost-effective price.
Here are some tips to consider when using self storage for your business:
- When storing office supplies or inventory, a 5x5 or 5x10 storage unit should work. For equipment storage, however, a 10x10, 10x20, or 10x30 may be necessary.
- Ask about file storage if you need somewhere to store important paperwork and documents.
- If you plan to run your operations out of your storage unit, look for Memphis storage facilities with Wi-Fi, business centers, and electrical outlets inside units.
MEMPHIS VEHICLE STORAGE
Many Memphis residents may be looking for the ideal place to store an RV, boat, or spare car. When your driveway runs out of real estate or your garage is stuffed to the brim, it can be difficult to find the space for your vehicles. Instead of selling them or reserving a space in a costly parking garage, vehicle storage can be a perfect solution. Be sure to check out indoor, outdoor, and covered options to find the vehicle storage in Memphis that best fits your needs.
PROTECTING YOUR STORAGE ITEMS WITH CLIMATE CONTROL AND SECURITY
When storing your valuables in a Memphis self storage unit, it's important to know that they will be protected. You can protect your belongings with two storage amenities: climate-controlled storage and additional security.
Climate-Controlled Storage in Memphis
One way to protect your valuables from damage is to protect them from extreme temperatures and humidity while in long-term storage. With a climate-controlled storage unit, which allows you to keep your storage unit between 55-85°F, you can protect sensitive items, such as antiques, clothing, electronics, and paper documents.
Additional Self Storage Security
Another way you can protect your belongings while in storage is to prevent theft. Many storage facilities in Memphis offer great security options because they know safety is a priority for storage users. Some of the great security features you can find include:
- Gated access
- Video surveillance
- On-site management
- Alarmed units
RENT YOUR MEMPHIS STORAGE SOLUTION
Thank you for stopping by Storage.com! If you've found a Memphis self storage unit for your needs, you can reserve directly online or call in to speak with one of our storage representatives.