Find, compare, and rent a storage unit in Columbus in just minutes using Storage.com! Below you'll find pricing information on storage units in the area, insights on whether you'll need climate-controlled storage in Columbus, storage near local universities including OSU, vehicle storage options in the area, and in-depth storage advice relating to the most common reasons people rent storage units in Columbus.
Cheap Storage Units in Columbus, OH
Storage rates in Columbus are relatively affordable! The cheapest storage units start at just $20. See general price ranges for the most common storage unit sizes below:
Do You Need a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit in Columbus?
The need for climate control depends on what you're storing and when you're storing it. During the peak of summer, average temperatures in Columbus are in the mid 80s, and temperatures will get higher in standard storage units. Items that can be damaged if exposed to temperatures above 85 degrees should be stored in a climate-controlled unit.
Similarly, average lows in the winter will get well below freezing. If you plan to store anything during winter that could freeze or be damaged by temperatures below 32 degrees, climate control is recommended.
Storage Units Near Universities in Columbus, OH
Vehicle Storage in Columbus
Columbus Storage Considerations
Columbus is the largest city in Ohio with over 800,000 residents. It's also home to the largest university in the state, Ohio State University, which enrolls 60,000 students. The combination of job and educational opportunities in Columbus make it a popular place to live, which means people are constantly moving in to the area. Because of this, many people turn to self storage to help with their moving and space needs.
Let's take a look at some things to consider when looking to rent a self storage unit in Columbus.
HOW OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY STUDENTS USE SELF STORAGE
If you plan on attending, are attendexping, or have a child that will be attending Ohio State University, it could be in your best interest to use self storage between semesters, especially over summer break. It can be a real time and money-saving option for both in-state and out-of-state students.
Some of the amenities that students enjoy about renting storage during breaks include:
- Free Storage Facility Moving Truck: Students typically don't have a whole lot of money to throw around. Many storage facilities in Columbus offer free moving trucks for new customers.
- Affordable Unit Sizes: For college students, smaller storage unit sizes, such as a 5x5 or 5x10, should be more than enough space to hold all of the belongings of a dorm room or small apartment. These storage units can be found for around $30 to $40 per month.
While most major cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati aren't that far from Columbus, students and their families can use self storage in Columbus instead of renting a moving truck to pack up belongings and take everything home during breaks from school. This makes it easier to keep dorm belongings close to campus as well, which means moving back in to dorm rooms again the following semester is more convenient.
If you're a non-resident student traveling to Columbus to join the popular business, arts and sciences, or engineering colleges Ohio State University is known for, renting self storage in Columbus will be your best friend. While in-state students often use self storage for convenience, it's the expense of renting moving trucks for long-distance drives that pushes out-of-state students to use mini storage over breaks from school.
HOW COLUMBUS STORAGE UNITS CAN HELP WITH JOB RELOCATION
With several large employers like JPMorgan Chase & Co., National Mutual Insurance, Ohio State University, and more, people are consistently moving to Columbus to pursue career opportunities. If you're in this situation, self storage can help make the moving and transition process significantly less stressful.
Some important things to consider when moving the contents of a home or apartment include:
- Storage Unit Access: When moving couches, mattress sets, entertainment centers, and appliances, having ground-level access to your storage unit will make all the difference. With drive-up access to your unit, you can pull your car or truck up to your unit outside and unload or load everything without having to carry your items through the facility and up several flights of stairs.
- Wide-Drive Aisles: If you're moving the contents of a home, chances are you'll be driving a larger vehicle to the storage facility. Make sure the facility has wide-drive aisles to accommodate your vehicle.
- Short-Term Leasing: Standard rental agreements at most self storage facilities in Columbus are month-to-month. Some will even offer shorter-term agreements than that, though. If you're only using Columbus mini storage until you can move into your new home, short-term leasing options will benefit you greatly.
REDUCING DOWNTOWN COLUMBUS LIVING COSTS WITH MINI STORAGE
People love being around the action of downtown areas. Unfortunately, living in Downtown Columbus is a bit costly. This is especially true when it comes to living space. Apartments in the 43215 zip code typically start renting at $1000+ a month. If you want to live near the Arena District and the Victorian Village but don't want to dedicate your entire paycheck to your apartment rent, self storage is a great option.
By renting self storage, you can choose to live in a smaller, more affordable living space. Keeping out-of-season clothing, holiday decorations, and recreational belongings like bikes and golf clubs in a storage unit in Downtown Columbus will keep your apartment clutter-free and help you make the most of your space.
If you're considering this option, keep a few things in mind:
- Storage facility location should be a big consideration, especially if you're storing a bike that you need frequent access to.
- Along the same lines, if you're storing things you use frequently, being able to access those items whenever you want is important. In this case, extended hours or even 24-hour access should be considered when looking at storage facilities in Columbus.
RENT A STORAGE UNIT IN COLUMBUS TODAY
With several Columbus storage options to choose from, you should have no trouble finding a storage unit.