New York City is one of the biggest metropolises on the planet, so storage is something of a must for a great many people here. If you need storage in Brooklyn, NY, no worries! Storage.com has put together the means to make finding storage in the biggest of the five boroughs easier than it ever has been. With our site features, you can look up nearby facilities, compare their prices, review security features, and reserve the unit of your choice without even picking up the phone.
WHY PEOPLE NEED SELF STORAGE IN BROOKLYN
Brooklyn has a population of nearly 2.6 million people, so space is a little scarce here. Whether you need storage on a temporary or regular basis, you can find a storage facility that fits your criteria right here.
Relocating/Moving to Brooklyn
Like the other four boroughs of New York City, Brooklyn is defined by diverse neighborhoods, spectacular architecture, and distinguishable monuments such as the Brooklyn Bridge. There’s no shortage of things to do here, either. In addition to the famous theme park Coney Island, you can entertain yourself at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn Academy of Music, the Brooklyn Bowl, Barclay’s Center, and various museums such as Brooklyn Museum and Brooklyn Children’s Museum.
As a coastal city, Brooklyn has a historical economy in manufacturing and shipbuilding. The Brooklyn Navy Yard has been around since the 18th century and has been responsible for important vessels, such as the USS Missouri. Brooklyn has also been ranked by Business Insider as a top place for startup companies and technological development. A great deal of activity occurs in the area known as DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass).
Whether your move to Brooklyn is temporary or permanent, one thing you’ll notice is that living space tends to be minimal. However, if you have a self storage unit in Brooklyn, you can easily make up for the amount of floor space in your home or apartment.
Storage amenities useful when relocating:
- Drive-Up Access: When relocating, you bring everything with you—this includes those enormous, hard-to-lift items such as refrigerators and living room furniture. If your Brooklyn storage unit has drive-up access, however, you can simply park your automobile in front of the unit and unload up close. The same applies for when you are ready to empty out your unit. This will save you a great deal of time in the moving process.
- Flexible Leases: Since you might not necessarily know just how long you will need your storage unit, it would help if you could rent it on a short-term basis until your needs are met. Some storage operators have flexible lease plans with renewals occurring on a weekly or monthly basis. For people who only need storage for a short time, this is much better than paying for a full year.
- Advanced Security Features: To best protect your interest, do not rent from a self storage facility with modern-day security features. Amenities such as video surveillance systems, on-site management, and gated entry are very common. Some facilities also have units with individual alarms, which adds another layer of protection to your belongings.
Living in Downtown Brooklyn
Although it is primarily a commercial complex, Downtown Brooklyn does have a few scattered residential areas to its name. For those living downtown, they have the benefit of being close to the action—to work, to the glamour, and to the fun. Before you move to downtown Brooklyn, you should keep in mind that living space here is generally very limited. Your first apartment here will probably be small and not allow enough space for all of your possessions.
A self storage unit in Downtown Brooklyn can help with this situation.
Storage amenities for living in Downtown Brooklyn:
- Location Proximity: If you’re going to be close to work and play, why not your storage unit as well? Don’t forget that you can look up facilities listed on our site and read up on their addresses to pick the one closest to where you live.
- Extended Access Hours: While you might be living downtown to stay closer to work, your work schedule might not necessarily align with your storage operator’s. You don’t want to go out of your way to access your storage unit, so look for operators who have 24-hour access available at their facilities.
- Advanced Security Features: You won’t be the only one living downtown, so to provide yourself with a little more peace of mind and make sure your storage operator can provide adequate security measures. In addition to the usual gated entry and security cameras, ask if they have managers who remain on site throughout the work day. Anything additional such as individual alarms will only help. Be sure to ask your Downtown Brooklyn storage operator what they offer in terms of protecting your investment.
Saving Space at Home with Storage in Brooklyn
The dominant reason most people use self storage is to save space at home, and in a borough as big and populous as Brooklyn, this is a much-needed commodity. Living in a large metropolitan area means living space is oftentimes limited, and people settle for even smaller spaces to save money. This may be convenient for your budget, but it won’t leave much in terms of at-home storage.
That’s why many people turn to storage. It allows you to continue saving space at home while finding somewhere to keep everything else you own—and for a much cheaper price than upgrading to a larger apartment.
Storage amenities for saving space:
- Unit Size: In determining the appropriate unit size to rent, you must first determine how much you want to put into storage and allow for some free space to avoid cluttering your unit. You might only need a closet-sized 5x5 or a garage-sized 10x30, depending on what and how much you need to store.
- Advanced Security Amenities: Your storage unit should be secure and safe just like your home, so make sure your Brooklyn storage operators offer good protection. Ask if they include basics such as security cameras, fenced-in perimeters, and gated entry.
- Climate Control: Brooklyn sometimes has harsh winters, and bitter cold temperatures can be detrimental to fragile items such as electronics and wood furniture. For the best preservation possible, rent a Brooklyn self storage unit with climate control. With this, your unit’s interior temperature will remain at 55-85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Business Storage in Brooklyn
Since Brooklyn has been cited as a location with strong business development, entrepreneurs starting out here will want to take advantage of Brooklyn business storage. Your first office will probably be a tiny one, especially in a city this big, where space is so limited. So you can counter the lack of floor space by using a storage unit for some of your business purposes. Whether you are stocking an inventory or even setting up a mini-office to work out of now and then, having a storage unit is a great commodity for Brooklyn entrepreneurs.
What’s more, some facilities actually offer amenities specifically targeted for commercial clients. Here are some of the features that would benefit you if you wish to use your storage unit for business purposes.
Storage amenities for commercial clientele:
- In-Unit Electricity: If you plan to use your storage unit as a secondary office—which would save you a great deal of money as opposed to leasing another building elsewhere in the city—you’ll want a unit with in-unit electricity. This includes electrical outlets and possible overhead lights. Now you can plug in and recharge laptops, cell phones, and other equipment—provided your storage operator will allow them. This also helps if you wish to store inventory; now you can itemize everything individually when picking out a customer’s order.
- Advanced Security Features: No matter what business properties you are storing, ensuring protection of your assets is an absolute must for commercial customers. It would be a shame to lose documents or computers holding information relevant to your business, as it would be to lose your customers’ inventory. Don’t take any chances! Rent a Brooklyn self storage unit with modern-day security amenities. If you can, find a facility with an alarm system to provide that extra layer of protection.
- Climate Control: If your equipment or inventories consist of items sensitive to temperature or sudden temperature change, invest in a climate-controlled storage unit. A consistent environment of 55-85 degrees Fahrenheit will maintain conditions of a comfortable room temperature level.
Automobile Storage in Brooklyn
One thing you’ll notice immediately about Brooklyn—and most of New York City—is a lack of private garages. If you decide to own an automobile here instead of taking a taxi, you’ll run into the challenge of finding regular parking. Using a public parking garage every single day could eat up a lot money over time. Are you going out of town or overseas for an extended period of time? How will you pay for storing your vehicle during your absence? How will you guarantee protection, for that matter?
Have you considered using vehicle storage in Brooklyn? That’s right: many self storage operators set aside outdoor spaces with the purpose of storing clients’ automobiles.
Storage amenities for vehicle storage in Brooklyn:
- Indoor/Outdoor/Covered Vehicle Storage: Between self storage facilities, you can select from three different types of vehicle storage depending on your budget and needs. For the cheapest and most simple storage, an outdoor storage space (basically a fenced-in parking lot) will suffice. Covered storage is fundamentally the same with the exception of a raised rooftop designed to shield automobiles from the sun, rain, etc. For a higher cost, you can also select indoor vehicle storage in Brooklyn, which, of the three, provides the highest level of security.
- Advanced Security Features: You’ll want to make sure your storage operator has advanced security features, especially if you are storing your vehicle in an outdoor parking space. At the very least, the facility should have a fenced-in perimeter with gated entry so that not just anyone can enter at random. Other useful amenities to have include video surveillance and on-site management.
- Flexible Lease Agreements: If you need automobile storage in Brooklyn because you will be going out of town or overseas for a short time, you’ll want to rent from a facility with flexible lease agreements. For instance, if you’ll only be out of town for a month, some facilities have monthly lease terms, which is much less expensive than paying for a year-long lease.
College Storage in Brooklyn
Education is aplenty in Brooklyn with reputable schools such as Brooklyn College, Medgar Evers College, and Brooklyn Law School in the area. However, like everything else in this borough, housing for students in Brooklyn is limited on space as well. Whether you are living in a dormitory or splitting rent on an apartment with a roommate, the amount of free space will probably be a little less than expected. However, just as living in a smaller apartment will save money, so will splitting rental fees on a storage unit with your roommates.
Amenities for Brooklyn college storage:
- Location Proximity: Traveling through Brooklyn can be a bit chaotic, especially if you are trying to make it to class on time. Any time saved will be a great burden lifted from your shoulders. One way you can accomplish this is picking out a facility that relatively close to where you live or attend school.
- Advanced Security Features: Whether you are storing college supplies or personal belongings, you’ll want to guarantee protection for your storage items. Video surveillance, on-site management, and gated entry make for good security, and any extra features won’t hurt.
- Climate Control: Harsh winter conditions (such as the ones New York is known for) can be the end for electronics and paper documents, which you will need for your education. Prevent wires from fraying and papers from crinkling under such harsh conditions with a consistent room temperature environment.
RESERVE YOUR BROOKLYN SELF STORAGE UNIT TODAY!
Remember: Storage.com’s search features allow you to look up nearby self storage facilities, compare and contrast their features and price ranges, and make an online reservation. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact the facility of your choice or call in and speak to one of our storage representatives. Thank you for using Storage.com!