Looking for a self storage facility in Oakland, CA? Welcome to Storage.com! We're here to help you find the storage unit that best suits your needs. Our site is optimized for you to search, compare, and rent storage within minutes based on location, unit size, price, and amenities. When you've found the unit for you, reserving it is a piece of cake—you can rent it right here at Storage.com!
COMMON REASONS FOR USING SELF STORAGE IN OAKLAND, CA
Whether you're moving to Oakland from out of town, relocating for work, attending school, need more space at home, or need to store recreational vehicles, Storage.com is here to help you find the Oakland storage unit that fits your needs and your possessions.
Relocating to Oakland
With a beautiful climate, gorgeous scenery, and a thriving local economy, Oakland offers a lot of opportunities for residents. Companies such as Kaiser Permanente, The Clorox Company, Ask.com, Pandora Media, Inc., Cost Plus World Market, and Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream Holdings, Inc. are headquartered in Oakland. The Oakland Port is the fifth busiest container port in the nation, and Oakland is the focal point of West Coast blues and jazz scenes. It's safe to say there are a variety of industries in town that have exciting career opportunities for residents and the cost of living is generally lower than neighboring areas like San Francisco. With a variety of employment opportunities, many renowned neighborhoods like Jack London Square and Uptown, and a great arts scene, living in Oakland offers something for everyone.
Relocating is always an exciting experience, but transitioning into a new home and starting a new job cab be in a word: stressful. Rent a storage unit in Oakland to help ease the strain of moving. You can store all of your household items in Oakland mini storage while you're finding the perfect place to live. Once you've found your new home, you can take your time unpacking your belongings from your storage unit into your new home.
Helpful storage features when relocating:
- Drive-Up Access: Work smarter, not harder by renting an Oakland storage unit with drive-up access. Loading and unloading heavy or bulky items is much more manageable when you can drive a truck right up to the door of your unit.
- Short-Term Rental Agreement: Hopefully you won't be in transition for long, so look for a storage facility in Oakland that offers weekly or monthly rental agreements. This way you're not stuck in a lease renting self storage longer than you need it.
- Climate Control: If you're storing items during the summer months, you should consider climate-controlled storage in Oakland. Climate control will keep your unit resting comfortably between 55–85°F with low humidity, ensuring sensitive belongings like wood furniture, photos, and electronics aren't damaged during Oakland's hot, foggy summers.
- Facility Security: You'll want to make sure your belongings are safe. All storage facilities provide basic security amenities such as gated access and unit locks, but if you'd like more protection for your belongings, look for Oakland storage facilities that offer advanced security measures like onsite management, alarmed units, or video surveillance.
Living in Downtown Oakland
Downtown Oakland is an exciting place to live with something for everyone, whether you're interested in culture, arts, city history, or sports. You'll never be bored in Downtown Oakland exploring the arts and culture in the Chinatown, Jack London Square, and Old Oakland neighborhoods, discovering something new at the Chabot Space & Science Center, or having some hometown fun watching the Oakland A's play at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.
However, Downtown Oakland's prime location comes at a high cost for some residents who have to choose between a smaller living space downtown or moving out of the city center to find a large enough space that fits their budget. This is where Oakland self storage is a valuable asset helping downtown dwellers fit comfortably in their smaller spaces.
Storage amenities to consider for Downtown Oakland living:
- Downtown Location: You probably chose to live downtown so you could be close to everything, so logically your storage unit should be close by, too. Easy access and proximity are key to maximizing your living space with self storage, so look for an Oakland storage facility located downtown.
- Facility Security: If you're storing valuables in a Downtown Oakland storage unit, you'll want to make sure they're safe. Most storage facilities offer basic security features like gated access and unit locks. If you'd like more protection for your peace of mind, look for an Oakland storage facility that offers advanced security measures such as video surveillance, onsite management, and alarmed units.
- Unit Size: Make sure to measure the items you're storing before renting a storage unit to be certain you will have enough space. For recreational equipment and seasonal belongings, a 5x5 unit is a good start. If you're storing extra furniture and larger items, you'll want a 5x10, at least. Take a look at our interactive storage unit size guide for more information.
Self Storage for College Students
With more than five colleges and institutes of higher education—including Mills College and California College of the Arts—Oakland is home for many college students pursuing a variety of degrees. While college is a must for some people, it can also be a rather cramped experience when you're living in close quarters.
Whether you're living on campus in a residence hall or you're sharing an apartment downtown with a few roommates, not having enough space is a common problem in college. Consider an Oakland storage unit to help you save the limited space you have and keep your belongings safe when you're not using them. This way you can take advantage of the space you have without finding a more spacious and expensive apartment, or downsizing your belongings (or roommates).
Extra furniture, seasonal clothing, and recreational equipment take up valuable space you don't have; keep them in an Oakland mini storage locker until you need them. If you're going home for the summer, save yourself the stress of moving everything home only to bring it back three months later by storing it in an Oakland storage unit.
Storage features for college students to consider:
- Short-Term Rental Agreement: If you're only looking for a temporary storage solution, look for an Oakland storage facility that offers weekly or monthly rental agreements. This way you're not stuck in a lease and paying for storage longer than you need it.
- Unit Size: For storing college essentials like bedding, a mini-fridge, school supplies, or dorm room décor, a 5x5 or 5x10 unit should do the trick. A 5x5 unit starts around $55 in Oakland, with larger units increasing in price. Consider sharing a unit with a friend or roommate to make your storage solution more budget-friendly.
- Climate Control: If you're storing over the summer months, look for an Oakland storage facility with climate-controlled units. Excessive heat or humidity can damage sensitive items like books, electronics, wood furniture, and more. A climate-controlled storage unit in Oakland will remain between 55-85°F with low humidity so your belongings are safe.
Auto, Boat, & RV Storage in Oakland
The climate, landscape, and surrounding cities are basically begging you to go out and explore the terrain. Nestled between San Francisco Bay and Yosemite National Park, with Sacramento to the north and San Jose to the south, there's no shortage of places to use your toys. Whether you're hauling the boat to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, are taking the RV to Yosemite, are sailing on Lake Merritt, or are taking a scenic ride around San Francisco Bay, you won't be lacking for places to go or things to see. When you're not using your toys, however, finding room to store your recreational vehicles can be difficult. Oakland vehicle storage makes it easy to store all of your fun toys so they're safe, out of the way, and ready for your next adventure.
Storage options for vehicles:
- Outdoor storage is the most affordable option and offers no protection from the elements.
- Covered storage is slightly more expensive and provides some shelter from the elements.
- Indoor storage is the most expensive option and it provides complete protection from the elements.
Additional vehicle storage features to consider:
- Climate Control: If you're storing heat-sensitive vehicles in your storage unit like a classic car, salvaged boat, or vintage motorcycle, consider a climate-controlled storage unit in Oakland. Climate control will keep your unit at a comfortable temperature, between 55–85°F, with low humidity, ensuring that sensitive belongings are not damaged during California's hot summers.
- Facility Security: Your recreational vehicles may well be your pride and joy, and the odds are they cost you a pretty penny and some sweat equity, so you'll want to make sure they're safe. All storage facilities offer standard security measures such as gated access and unit locks. If you'd like a little extra security for your peace of mind, consider an Oakland storage facility with advanced options like alarmed units, video surveillance, and onsite management.
RENT YOUR OAKLAND STORAGE UNIT TODAY!
Thanks for stopping by Storage.com to explore your Oakland self storage options. If you've found the Oakland storage unit you need, you can make your reservation right here on our site, or you can call in to speak with a storage representative.