Looking for additional storage space in Albuquerque, NM? Storage.com is here to help! Our site is designed to help you search, compare, and rent storage within minutes based on location, unit size, price, and amenities. Once you find the unit for you, reserving it is no problem—you can rent it right here on Storage.com.
COMMON REASONS FOR USING SELF STORAGE IN ALBUQUERQUE
Whether you're moving into the area from out of town, attending school at the University of New Mexico, need more space at home, or need to store seasonal items, you can find a storage unit in Albuquerque that suits your needs.
Relocating to Albuquerque
As the largest city in New Mexico. Albuquerque is home to the largest university in New Mexico and the sixth largest air force base in the country. With job opportunities, schools, a scenic landscape, and a great climate, Albuquerque offers a lot of opportunities for residents.
Located in the heart of the New Mexico Technology Corridor, Albuquerque supports many private tech companies and government research facilities. Employers such as Sandia National Laboratories, Intel, and Kirtland Air Force Base have expanded thanks to the booming technology and engineering industries in Albuquerque, keeping the area growing as people relocate there for work, school, training, and new opportunities.
Relocating is always an exciting experience, but it can be stressful when you're moving to an entirely new city and starting a new job. Take some of the stress out of the move by renting an Albuquerque storage unit during the process. You can store all of your household items in Albuquerque mini storage while you find the perfect place to live. Once you've found the right location, you can take your time unpacking your belongings from your storage unit into your new home. You'll be able to get settled without the clutter and strain of a quick move.
Storage amenities to look for when relocating:
- Drive-Up Access: A unit with drive-up access makes loading and unloading easy. By backing a moving truck up to the door of your unit, transferring heavy or bulky items is more manageable
- Short-Term Rental Agreements: Ideally, you won't be in transition for too long. Look for a storage facility in Albuquerque with a flexible lease where you can rent on a monthly or weekly basis so you don't have to pay for storage longer than you need it.
- Climate Control: If you are storing your items during the summer months, you will want to consider climate-controlled storage. Climate control will keep your unit between 55–85 degrees with low humidity, ensuring that sensitive belongings like electronics, wood furniture, photos, and more are not damaged.
Living in Downtown Albuquerque is a lot of fun because it's close to everything. You can spend the afternoon walking around Old Town, grab dinner somewhere in the Plaza, and catch a ride to the Pit to cheer on the Lobos basketball team and it's all relatively close to home. While living downtown has its perks, having enough space in your apartment or condominium can be hard to come by.
Instead of choosing between the perfect place and having enough space, maximize the space you have by moving all non-essential items such as extra furniture, seasonal clothing, and documents into a storage unit. You can move items in and out when you need them and everything is stored in one convenient location.
Storage features to consider living downtown:
- Location: You most likely decided to live downtown to be close to everything, so it makes sense that your storage unit is close, as well. Proximity is key when you're using a storage unit to expand your living space.
- Facility Security: If you're storing valuables in a downtown storage facility and want a little extra security for your peace of mind, choose a facility with gated access, key-card entry, unit locks, and potentially more advanced options like video surveillance or alarmed units.
Self Storage for College Students
The University of New Mexico's main campus is located in the southeast area of Albuquerque, just east of downtown, and it's home to over 34,000 students. College life can be very cramped when you're living in close quarters. Check out some reasons why college students use Albuquerque self storage whether they're living on or off campus.
Living on campus during college is great because you're close to almost everything. However, the convenient location doesn't entirely compensate for your limited living space. Make your life a little easier by renting a 5x5 storage unit for things you don't always need, such as seasonal clothing and extra furniture. If you're going home for the summer, instead of packing everything up and hauling it home only to haul it back in August, store it in a self storage unit until you return. This way your things are together, safe, and out of the way until you need them.
The vast majority of the university's 35,000 students live off-campus in downtown Albuquerque and in the surrounding neighborhoods. The cost of living in Albuquerque is almost 4% higher than the rest of New Mexico and living downtown comes at a higher price with less space. Instead of finding a new apartment and arranging to move, consider storing some of your things in a storage unit to make the most of the space you have. Seasonal clothing and recreational equipment don't need to be taking us space in your apartment, so store them in a storage unit until you need them.
Storage features for college students to consider:
- Short-Term Rental Agreements: Look for a storage facility that offers monthly or weekly rental agreements so you don't have to pay for storage longer than you'll be using it.
- Unit Size: If you're storing college essentials like bedding, a mini-fridge, or room decorations, a 5x5 or 5x10 unit should suffice. A 5x5 unit in Albuquerque runs between $20-$50 a month. Consider sharing a unit with a friend to lower the cost.
- Facility Location: Proximity to where you're living makes moving things in and out of your unit a lot easier, so look for a facility close to you.
- Climate Control: When storing your items over the hot summer, you will probably want a climate-controlled unit if you are storing any items that can be damaged by extreme temperatures, such as electronics, books, clothing, or musical instruments.
Living at Kirtland Air Force Base
Kirtland Air Force Base employs more than 23,000 people in Albuquerque. Many of those personnel members live on base in military housing. While this is convenient, having enough room for all of your belongings can be challenging. Also, for those who are deployed on a tour of duty, they may need to find a place to store their belongings while they are overseas. If you are currently living at Kirtland Air Force Base but are looking for additional space while you're home or away, consider a storage facility that offers these features:
- Vehicle Storage: When you are deployed, your vehicle can often sit idle for months. Albuquerque vehicle storage is an easy way to protect your vehicle from the elements and to keep it protected from theft.
- Climate-Controlled Storage: If you don't know how long you will be away, consider a climate-controlled storage unit in Albuquerque to keep your belongings safe from damage during the hot summer.
- Additional Security: Security features like coded access, video surveillance, unit alarms, or on-site management can help ensure that your belongings are safe in storage whether you are at home, at training, or overseas.
Storing Recreational Equipment
Albuquerque is a great city for outdoor excursions. Whether you're rafting down the Rio Grande, skiing in the Sandia Mountains, or golfing at Twin Warriors Golf Club, there are a variety of exciting ways to be active outdoors and take in the desert landscape. When you're not out and about on the slopes or at the club, store all your equipment in an Albuquerque storage unit until your next adventure so you're not tripping over everything at home.
Storage features to consider for storing recreational equipment:
- Unit Size: Measure your gear before renting a unit to make sure you rent the size that you need. A 5x5 unit is perfect for storing golf clubs and ski equipment, but a 5x10 is great for larger items like kayaks, canoes, and mountain bikes. Take a look at our storage unit size guide for additional information.
- Facility Location: When you're out exploring, a storage facility that's close to you is key so your gear is a short jaunt down the road instead of a 30-minute drive to the other side of town.
- 24-Hour Access: You never know when you're going to get the urge to hit the trails or when you're going to be out later than planned. Look for a facility with 24-hour access so you can access your equipment whenever it's convenient for you.
RENT YOUR ALBUQUERQUE STORAGE UNIT TODAY!
If you've found the Albuquerque mini storage you need, you can reserve it right here on our site, or you can call in to speak with a storage representative. Thank you for visiting Storage.com!