Storage.com has the answer to your storage needs in Chesapeake, VA. Our site helps you search, find, and rent storage within minutes. You can compare storage units based on size, location, price, and features. Whatever your storing needs are, Storage.com is here to help.
COMMON REASONS FOR USING SELF STORAGE IN CHESAPEAKE, VA
Whether you are moving to Chesapeake for work, school, or the military, Chesapeake self storage can help. If you already live in the area and just need more room at home or a place to store your recreational equipment, a Chesapeake storage unit is the answer.
Relocating to Chesapeake
With over 22 miles of fresh and salt waterways, Chesapeake is a popular destination for visitors and new residents each year. This coastal city is part of the Hampton Roads metro area and port, which sees millions of exports and imports in commerce every year. The Port of Hampton Roads is the third largest port in the country, and has one of the largest coal loading facilities, loading over 65 million tons of coal each year. Chesapeake is also a popular place for both international and U.S. companies to maintain offices, like Capital One, Lockheed Martin, and Canon, because of its great location and economy. It's strategically located near Norfolk, Suffolk, and Portsmouth, making an easy commute to any of these communities.
Whether you are planning on working in Chesapeake or one of the nearby cities, a storage unit can help organize your transition in eastern Virginia. Relocating to a new city for work is stressful enough without having to worry about finding a place to keep all of your belongings and then moving them into your new home. Keeping your belongings in a storage unit can help ease the transition of the move while you find a new place to live. A storage unit in Chesapeake allows you to take your time finding the right home, and take your time moving in. With flexible leases, you can keep you belongings in a storage unit as long as you need.
Storage features to consider when relocating:
- Drive-Up Access: These units feature a door that faces directly onto a parking area. Unload heavy items like furniture and appliances safely by driving your car or rental truck right up to the unit.
- Short-Term Rental Agreement: Hopefully finding a new place to live won't take long. Look for Chesapeake storage facilities that offer weekly or monthly leases so you don't pay for storage longer than you need it.
- Climate Control: If you are storing your belongings over the summer, choose a climate-controlled storage unit in Chesapeake, where summers can be hot and humid. Climate control keeps temperatures in your unit between 55-85°F and humidity low to protect sensitive items like electronics, musical instruments, documents, photos, and more.
The Hampton Roads area has a strong military presence. Chesapeake itself is home to two U.S. Navy Bases, the Naval Auxiliary Landing Field Fentress and the Naval Support Activity Northwest Annex. The surrounding area also includes the Allied Command Transformation, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, and the Naval Station Norfolk, as well as many other supporting military facilities. The Naval Medical Center Portsmouth in the neighboring city of Portsmouth is the oldest continuously running hospital in the Navy. In fact, there are so many installations, approximately one-fourth of active duty military personnel are stationed in the Hampton Roads area.
Whether you are relocating to work, live, or serve at one of the many military bases in the Hampton Roads area, a storage locker in Chesapeake can help store your extra belongings. Renting a storage unit in Chesapeake or the surrounding area can give you the freedom to focus on your work or training while still having your car, personal belongings, and recreational equipment easily available to you.
Storage features for military personnel:
- Vehicle Storage: Storing your car at a storage facility while training on base is a great way to keep your vehicle safe from the elements and theft. Also, if you are deployed, you can keep your car in Chesapeake vehicle storage while you are away.
- Security: Look for Chesapeake storage facilities with security features like video surveillance, unit alarms, and on-site management so you know that your valuables are kept safe.
- Military Discounts: Some storage facilities in the Chesapeake area may offer military discounts, so don't be afraid to ask if one is available to you.
Storage for College Students
Many students travel to Chesapeake to attend one of the universities nearby. Whether you're attending Eastern Virginia Medical School, Old Dominion University or Norfolk State University, moving to a new city for school can be overwhelming. Give yourself some additional space and store your seasonal clothing and sports equipment in a Chesapeake storage locker so that your dorm or apartment isn't overcrowded. Many students rent a storage unit in Chesapeake over the summer so that they don't have to pack everything and move it home, only to move it back when school starts back up a few months later.
Storage features for college students to consider:
- Unit Size: A 5x5 unit can easily store a desk, dresser, and a few boxes. For a cheaper option, consider renting a unit with a friend and sharing the space and the cost.
- Climate Control: The summers in Chesapeake are hot and humid. Protect your valuables by keeping them in a climate-controlled unit that is kept between 55-85°F.
- Short-Term Rental Agreements: Look for a Chesapeake storage facility with weekly or monthly leases so that you are not paying storage longer than you need it.
Chesapeake's humid summers don't stop residents from staying active outside. Venture out to Dismal Swamp Canal, the place that is said to be where Edgar Allen Poe wrote his famous poem "The Raven." Spend a day fishing in the numerous waterways, or hunting and biking throughout the Northwest River Park. Take your binoculars and hike the 8.5-mile Dismal Swamp Canal Trail where you can try to spot the Wayne's warbler, one of North America's most elusive birds. When you are not using your equipment, such as a canoe, kayak, bicycle, or camping gear, store it in Chesapeake mini storage unit until you are ready for your next adventure.
Storage features to consider for recreational equipment:
- Unit Size: A 5x5 unit is perfect for storing your fishing and hunting gear along with your mountain bike. Measure your gear to determine what size unit you will need.
- Proximity: Chesapeake is surrounded by places for outdoor recreation. Find a storage facility near your home or near your favorite waterway so you can pick up your equipment and get to your destination quickly.
With so many waterways in the area, many people spend their days boating through the maze of creeks and inlets, or fishing the 3,100 acres of Lake Drummond. For a weekend trip, pack up your RV and head over to the Northwest River Park and Campground, which lies next to the Intercostal Waterway or visit nearby Virginia Beach.
Finding storage at home for recreational vehicles can be difficult. Renting Chesapeake vehicle storage can keep your boat, RV, classic car, or large equipment safe and out of the way until your next outing.
Vehicle storage features to consider:
- Proximity: Find a storage unit near your home or your favorite park to make it easier to grab your equipment when the urge for adventure comes.
- Security: Search for a storage facility with features like video surveillance, gated access, and on-site management so you have greater peace of mind leaving your vehicle in a storage unit.
Storage options for vehicles:
- Outdoor storage is the most affordable option, but provides no protection from the elements.
- Covered storage is a little more expensive, but provides some protection from the weather.
- Indoor storage is the most expensive, but provides the most protection from both weather and theft.
RENT YOUR CHESAPEAKE STORAGE UNIT TODAY!
Thank you for visiting Storage.com to find Chesapeake self storage. Once you find the perfect solutions for your needs, you can rent your unit right here on our website, or call in to speak to a storage representative.